Looking for other print examples?
How to Use QR Codes on Books
Two-dimensional QR Codes have the potential to turn reading into a more interactive and three-dimensional experience for all ages. All the reader needs is a smartphone or mobile device to scan the Code and they can unlock doors to a wider world beyond the printed page.
Which books suit QR Codes?
QR Codes for books are easy to design and can be tailor-made to suit a variety of books from textbooks and instruction manuals to cookery books and children's stories. They are particularly successful as a marketing or branding tool for self-publishing authors. Guidebooks to show amusement and historical attractions or luxurious coffee table books suit the world of QR Coding perfectly. A good example is The Visitor's Guide to American Gardens. This deluxe, colorful guide features 400 memorable American gardens while scannable Codes link directly to each garden's website for further garden and visitor information.
10 great reasons for putting QR Codes in books:
- 1. Potential buyers browsing bookstores can instantly check out whether a book is the right choice for them by reading customer reviews and visiting the author's website. They can also access pricing information and research other books in the series.
- 2. Other books by the author or titles in the same genre can be suggested to readers, instantly triggering further profitable book sales.
- 3. Using the Rating QR Code, readers can instantly leave reviews about the book and communicate with the author and other readers as well as posting comments on social networking sites.
- 4. The Video QR Code can link to promotional trailers for book events and stage or theater productions based on the title.
- 5. The provision of an interactive element attracts more people to reading, especially reluctant younger readers.
- 6. This interactive element narrows the gap between the world of readers, authors, and publishing houses.
- 7. The Codes bring the often staid world of publishing into the modern world of targeted technology.
- 8. Books can be purchased directly from publishing houses and instantly downloaded to mobile devices.
- 9. QR Codes have the power to improve brand imaging and the marketing potential of both authors and publishing houses.
- 10. Market analysis and customer targeting become immediate and ongoing.
The further potential of QR Codes on books
Children love picture books and they love being read to. What could be better than their favorite author reading their favorite book to them? Scanning the MP3 QR Code on books opens this world to them. QR Codes are also a cost-effective way of turning the world of social media from a study distraction into a study tool by making textbooks more dynamic and interesting. Well-crafted and eye-catching Codes can bring everything from school libraries and study rooms to worksheets and homework vividly to life. Explore this world further by visiting QR Codes for every purpose.
How to design a great QR Code for books?
A lot of thought and effort goes into the design of book content and every book cover. A successful QR Code needs to fit neatly into this overall concept without detracting from it. While crisp black and white codes always stand out clearly, bringing color to them allows them to work with the book's design. Be sure to add a QR Code Frame to tell the reader what will happen when the Code is scanned. For example, “Scan this Code to enter the world of …”. It's even possible to embed the book's title or a related graphic into the Code and, whatever the design, make sure it stands out clearly by finishing with a bold border.
Before going into mass book runs, check the QR Code design functions across a full range of mobile devices. If we've inspired you to use QR Codes on books, how to get creative with QR Code design is full of helpful tips on getting started.
Printing QR Codes onto books
The high-gloss finish of many books can create light reflection and distortion so careful thought needs to go into the positioning of QR Codes on their covers. A good idea is to link it to the book's blurb, either on the back cover or the inside flap. Loose-leaf covers do get damaged or lost so it makes sense to also have the Code within the book itself. For successful printing, browse our top 10 tips for printing QR Codes.
Get your 14-DAY TRIAL of QR Code Generator PRO
Test all features for free and without obligation